Lego Party

My son's birthday was on August the 10th and we had a small party for him since he was turning the big FIVE.  I didn't go all out on a theme but he does loooooove legos so I decided to incorporate that into the party a little bit for his enjoyment.  I came across marshmallow Lego head pops online and thought those would be cool to pass out to the kids at the party.  I had my daughter and nephew help me make about 20 of these.  Here are the items we worked with and how we did it:


*cake pop sticks, big marshmallows, small marshmallows, yellow candy melts, black candy melts, 
piping bags, clear treat bags

1.  First we used a little bit of yellow candy melts (melted, follow directions on bag) to work as a glue, gluing the small marshmallows to the big marshmallows and laying them out on a cookie sheet to dry.  
(I cut the small marshmallows in halves)
2.  Next we stuck the sticks into the marshmallows and coated them in the yellow candy melts (melted the rest of them in a bowl).  We found that if you roll the marshmallow heads lightly in the
candy melts it gives a better smooth coat verses dunking it in.
3.  We then stuck the coated marshmallows strategically into a cooling rack to dry.  (We also tried using mugs to stand them in to dry and found that was an easier and sturdier way to do it)
4.  Once the marshmallow heads have completely dried, I melted the black candy melts in a piping bag, cut a medium hole at the tip to draw on the smiley faces.

They were a little bit time consuming considering all the waiting time for the candy melts to dry, but this was easy to do and the kids had so much fun with them.  Also, everyone loved how they taste!
Main ingredients and supplies

Upper Left:  Small marshmallow halves stuck together with big marshmallows,
 drying on cookie sheet.
Upper Right:  Marshmallow head on stick, rolling for even coat in yellow candy melts.
Bottom:  Marshmallow heads drying on a cooling rack.
FINAL LOOK!!!
I wrapped them in clear treat bags and tied them with clear rubber bands.

Another LEGO related item I did for the party were cupcakes.  I didn't want to serve cake to avoid the cutting mess and extra plates I would have to clean up, so cupcakes are always my solution.  I bought 2lbs. of lego candy blocks on Amazon.  After baking the cupcakes and frosting them, all I did was top it off with a lego candy.  I split the rest of the candy blocks evenly into treat bags for the kids to take home and attached a thank you note to it (sorry no picture of that).  Super super easy, cute and appealing!!!  The cool thing about these candy blocks is that they actually stack together, making them so creative to use for so many things...they don't taste bad either, my kids actually love eating them.


Left:  How the lego candy blocks look like.
Right:  Strawberry cupcakes, vanilla icing, topped with colorful candy blocks.


No comments:

Post a Comment